There’s no doubt—naturally rosy lips are an appealing feature of a woman’s beauty or a man’s good looks. So, many people who have dark lips want to lighten them.Some of the main causes of dark lips are excessive exposure to direct sunlight, an allergic reaction, use of low-quality cosmetics, chewing tobacco, excessive smoking, high caffeine intake, and hormonal imbalances.
There are many ways to lighten dark lips that don’t require buying expensive products or treatments. Natural home remedies can effectively lighten your lips. The time it takes for these remedies to work varies, so use them as long as needed to achieve the results you want.
Causes For Dark Spots On The Lips
Before we delve into the treatment options for black spots on the lips, we need to know why we get them. Here are the causes that lead to the formation of those spots on the lips:
- Vitamin B Deficiency – Every time you notice changes in the texture or appearance of your lips, hair, or nails, the primary cause is the deficiency of vital vitamins and minerals. In this case, black spots on the lips might be a result of vitamin B deficiency. Consult a doctor and seek treatment if you suffer from any vitamin deficiency to prevent other complications.
- Usage Of Old Lip Products – Using old lipsticks or lip balms that are past their expiry date is yet another reason for black spots. Always make sure you double check the expiry date of your favorite lip product to prevent black spots.
- Excessive Drinking And Smoking – The harmful chemicals from smoking can easily damage your lips. Alcohol can disrupt the normal functioning of the body and lead to dark spots on the lips.
- Excess Iron In The Body – This medical condition also leads to black spots that make the lips look unhealthy. A simple blood test can tell you if you have too much iron. You can then consult your doctor for treatment.
- Dryness Of The Lips – Chapping essentially means dry skin, which might serve as a breeding ground for infection when left untreated. These infections can also lead to spots.
- Hormonal Imbalance – Our body needs all the hormones to function properly for it to work efficiently. Sometimes, these spots might be an indication of hormonal imbalances in the body and may need treatment.
Now that we know the common causes of dark spots on the lips, we shall list some home remedies to treat the same.
1. Use Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is great to reduce black spots on the lips. It consists of a powerful bleaching stuff that is exactly usable to cure dark patches on the lips. Put a few drops of lemon juice on your lips and rub them gently with a cotton ball or your fingertips. Don’t massage the lips more than 4 minutes. If you do it daily just once, you will notice dark spots free lips in a few weeks.
2. Use Beetroot Juice
Beetroot juice works amazingly to remove dark patches on lips. Especially, it is highly recommended for reducing the black marks on the lower lips. Just take a slice of beetroot and pat your lips with it for 4-5 minutes. It will cure your dark spotted lips if you follow this home remedy for 3 months. The prompt result you will get if you keep the slices in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before.
3. Use Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is another supernatural stuff to remove dark spots on the lips. Bleaching complexion is available in apple cider vinegar. Just rub your lips with this natural agent and leave it on the lips for the whole night. At morning, wash your lips and enjoy brighter lips.
4. Use Rose Petals and Glycerin
If you are a smoker, this mixer of home remedies is perfect for you because this solution is the best cure to remove stains on your lips left by smoking. Just mix some glycerin with some mashed up rose petals. Apply this paste on the lips and let it stay on the lips for the entire night. Gradually, you will be capable of lessening your dark lines of your lips.
5. Stop Smoking
The smokers have a greater chance to have dark spots on the lips. Smoking leaves stains on the lips that basically builds up gradually as dark shadows. Even, you may encounter a bigger problem, like skin cancer or infections on the lips by years of smoking.
The best way of getting rid of dark spots on lips is to stop smoking right away. You will sequentially have your natural lip tone. You can use home remedies, like lemon juice. It is very active to get rid of black tones of the lips. If you are a woman, you can use various cosmetics for lips. You can also have vitamin C in your every major meal. Vitamin C greatly helps to repair smoker’s lips.
6. Olive Oil
Olive oil can also be used to make your lips lively and vibrant. Olive oil contains many essential nutrients to nurture your lips and its moisturizing property will make them soft and beautiful.
Apply a few drops of extra virgin olive oil on your lips and massage it gently. Do this daily before going to bed.Alternatively, mix one-half teaspoon of sugar and a few drops of extra virgin olive oil. Scrub your lips gently with this mixture once a week. This simple recipe will restore your natural lip color and shine within a month or two.
Pomegranate is ideal for treating dark lips. It can nourish and moisturize dry and dehydrated lips as well as help restore their natural pink color.
Mix together one tablespoon of crushed pomegranate seeds and a little milk cream and rose water. Apply this paste on your lips and gently scrub for a few minutes.Wash it off with lukewarm water. Do this once daily.Mix equal amounts of pomegranate juice, beetroot juice and carrot juice. Apply it on your dark lips once daily. see Health Benefits of Pomegranate